It is important to know how to do basic car repairs yourself. In the event that a repair shop is closed or inaccessible, these skills can come in handy.
One of the easiest things to learn to do yourself is replacing a headlight. This simple procedure should only take about 20 to 30 minutes and only require simple tools.
You first start by:
1) Opening the hood and locating the back of the headlight.
2) Then disconnect the electrical connector from the back of the headlight or remove the headlight bulb.
3) Remove the headlight from the headlight housing by removing the headlight mounting screws or retainers.
4) Compare the new headlight to the old one to ensure it will be the correct fit.
5) Install the new headlight.
6) Tighten the mounting screws or install the retainers.
7) If necessary, install the grille or trim that was removed to access the mounting screws.
8) Install the headlight bulb or connect the wiring harness to the headlight.
9) Check headlight operation and adjustment. If necessary, adjust the headlight.
While this is simple procedure, if you are unsure about any of the steps, consult a professional. This can prevent you from causing damage to the vehicle resulting in expensive repairs.
Also, these procedures can vary depending on the year, make, and model of the vehicle.